Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly feature created and hosted by The Broke & the Bookish. This week:
Top 10 Books I Would Like To Re-Read!
- We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I read this book over four years ago now and I’ve only read it once. I’ve always meant to go back and read it again – I think Shriver is an amazing author. This was the first book of hers that I read and although I had some issues with it, I loved it. I think it would definitely be worth a re-read.
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Another book I’ve only read once and over three years ago now. I actually read this for a college course I was taking – my first foray into Russian literature. I liked this so much more than I thought I would and I remember being surprised at just how readable it was. There’s no doubt that it is the sort of book where you could re-read it many times and always pick up something new each time.
- On The Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I’ve actually read this several times and parts of it more times. But I do wish that I could read this book for the first time again. I’m jealous of everyone who gets to experience it for the first time now because that moment where everything falls into place is so good! You can never get that moment back. But I’d like to re-read it again properly soon. It’s the sort of book that never gets old.
- Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Yeah, one day when I feel like bawling my eyes out, I will re-read this.
- Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. This book is super huge and super, super detailed. It’s another one that I really liked a lot more than I expected but a lot of it has basically vanished from my brain now despite the fact that I read it only about two years ago. There’s so much history and story in this book it’d probably take a dozen re-reads to really take it all in.
- Daughter Of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor. It’s been so long since I’ve read this, so long now that I’d probably need to re-read it before I could tackle the rest of the trilogy. I barely remember anything that happened in it and it’s the sort of story where you don’t want to forget.
- Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo. This is basically for the same reason as the book above – it’s been so long and I haven’t been able to read the next books and now I really don’t remember enough. I’d like to read both series one after the other.
- Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Another amazing book I’d love to find the time to re-read one day.
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I’d like to re-read this before I get around to seeing the movie. I probably have plenty of time because I am notoriously slow when it comes to actually seeing movies. I still haven’t seen Catching Fire or Divergent or The Fault In Our Stars or Vampire Academy.
- Speaking of, I should probably read Divergent again. I’ve owned Insurgent and Allegiant for ages now and haven’t read them yet.
I don’t re-read anywhere near as much as I used to. Back when I was at university and poor, I would re-read favourites constantly but now I find I have too many new books that are grabbing my attention to go back to old favourites and ones that intrigued me on first read. If I do re-read, it’s usually snatches of favourite books, the parts that I really loved and I tend to do that when I need a comfort read. Pick something that I know I loved and re-read my favourite bits over and over. Sometimes I wish I could prioritise re-reading a bit higher but I already have more books than I can read – I figure I’m investing for the future. When I’m old I’ll have all the time in the world to re-read!